This stone building, on Steep Hill, dates back to the 12th century and is one of the oldest surviving, domestic buildings in the UK.
Now home to a specialist tea shop, Norman House was, according to tradition, built for Aaron of Lincoln: a Jewish moneylender around 1170 who advanced large sums of money to nobility, including King Henry II. Although controversial, it is agreed to have at least had Jewish residents.
Features of the building, including the arched doorway and double arch window, are typical of the Norman period and similar to many churches of the period; churches are usually to only type of buildings to survive from that time.
The substantial, semi-sunken undercroft, now a cafe, would have provided secure storage for the living accommodation above. This type of luxurious living was pioneered by the Jews who moved to Lincoln in the Norman conquest, based on the ducal halls of Normandy.