The former site of RAF Swinderby is now occupied by the village of Witham St Hughs.
Autumn 1939 saw 80 fields between Thurlby and Swinderby established into bomber base RAF Swinderby. Initially two Polish squadrons were based there; after an operational phase with 50 Squadron the base became a major 5 Group Bomber Command training base with Heavy Conversion Units. The training role continued post-World War II right through until 1993.
After closure, the village of Witham St Hughs was established. The base’s aviation connections are commemorated at the Village Hall and in the industrial estate.
|+44 (0)7501 632 119|
Witham St Hughs Village Hall|
Witham St Hughs