To arrange a visit, contact Mrs Pat May on 01673 866900.
Just north-west of the A46 near the village of Welton is the former site of RAF Dunholme Lodge.
The airfield was built as a satellite station of RAF Scampton and RAF Units that operated from there included: 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron, 49 Squadron, 170 Squadron, 619 Squadron and 1485 Gunnery Flight. Post World War II the airfield was used as a motor racing circuit and then as a Bloodhound SAM (surface to air) missile base.
After closing in 1945 the buildings of RAF Dunholme Lodge were used in 1946 to house over 2000 displaced refugees from Eastern Europe, many of whom were the families of the Polish airmen who had fought side by side with their British and Commonwealth comrades.
There is a permanent memorial to the airmen that lost their lives whilst serving at RAF Dunholme Lodge and other precious items from the area’s history at William Farr CofE Comprehensive School, which was built on part of the domestic site. To arrange a visit, contact Mrs Pat May on 01673 866900.